Waterloopbos visitor center
In the Hydrodynamic Laboratory, the view of our landscape was developed by applying inventive engineering art. The laboratory was established in 1951 on the new land of the Noordoostpolder. The whole world came to see this engineering art. The history of this special place is slowly becoming invisible. That is why Natuurmonumenten wants to create a visitors' pavilion to explain the history.
Due to the seclusion of the forest and the natural water course, there was a laboratory for 36 construction sites with 200 scale models. The harber in Rotterdam, the entrance to the St. Anna Bay in Curaçao, the port of Lagos in Nigeria, the port of IJmuiden, the mouth of the Escavos river Nigeria and the coast of Thijborøn in Denmark have been designed here.
Client: Urban Fabric Development
Status: Competition won
Team: Ard de Vries Architecten & Studio Donna van Milligen Bielke